[Durham] Debian on a 2011 macmini

Martin Ward martin at gkc.org.uk
Wed Aug 14 16:01:41 UTC 2019

On 14/08/19 16:45, Dougie Nisbet via Durham wrote:
> Toying with the idea of wiping OSX and installing Debian instead. Mid-2011
> Macmini with external 'superdrive' (CD drive) and 2TB Bufallo. 8GB memory (I
> upgraded it years ago).
>
> I've had a browse of https://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn/Apple but
> couldn't work out where to start.
>
> I've no real interest in running OSX. Is Debian doable? What boot image do I need?

Is it an Intel Mac Mini or a PowerPC based model?

https://wiki.debian.org/MacMiniIntel
http://purestblue.com/2011/01/13/installing-debian-on-an-intel-mac-mini/

If you can get a live USB srive to boot, this will help you find
a distribution that works on your machine before you have to
actually install anything.

https://www.howtogeek.com/213396/how-to-boot-a-linux-live-usb-drive-on-your-mac/

--
			Martin