[Durham] Debian on a 2011 macmini

Dougie Nisbet dougie at highmoor.co.uk
Thu Aug 15 13:58:42 UTC 2019

On 14/08/2019 17:01, Martin Ward wrote:
> On 14/08/19 16:45, Dougie Nisbet via Durham wrote:
>> Toying with the idea of wiping OSX and installing Debian instead.
>> Mid-2011
>> Macmini with external 'superdrive' (CD drive) and 2TB Bufallo. 8GB
>> memory (I
>> upgraded it years ago).
>>
>> I've had a browse of https://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn/Apple
>> but
>> couldn't work out where to start.
>>
>> I've no real interest in running OSX. Is Debian doable? What boot
>> image do I need?
>
> Is it an Intel Mac Mini or a PowerPC based model?

It's Intel. Thanks for those links, they gave me some more ideas.

I tried booting from USB drive but CD boot turned out to be easier.

It has turned out to be remarkable straightforward in the end. I booted
and installed using the

[ISO]
<https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current/amd64/iso-cd/debian-mac-10.0.0-amd64-netinst.iso>debian-mac-10.0.0-amd64-netinst.iso
<https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current/amd64/iso-cd/debian-mac-10.0.0-amd64-netinst.iso>

image and it has been ridiculously easy. No problems at all. I've paused
now and rewound, ordered a larger hard-drive as I might as well swap out
the original hard drive before creating a usable system.

Dougie