[Falkirk] next meeting

Nick Hockings - FreeNET Africa falkirk at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sun Mar 16 09:05:01 2003

Debian's install interface is not graphically pretty, but fairly
straightforward for basic install. I recomend you just use tasksel for the
first install. That should get you a workstation with a GUI. Then you can
add/remove whichever apps. I often use dselect because I like to see what
is available and it is quite good with dependency handling.

I find the best way to install is from an apt-proxy in another partition
on the same hard-drive. That should be straightforward to set up if you
are downloading via ADSL. Look for options on the downloads pages of the
Debian mirror you are using.

The "fun" will come with setting up all the drivers for all cards &
ancilliaries. You may be luckier with an imac having a smaller variety of
hardware options may mean that you have a better chance of getting it all
right. I am still stuck with my modem, but I haven't spent that much time
on it recently. (So far I haven't found a distro that does manage to set
up my modem. That is my fault though.)

--
Nick Hockings
nick@freenetafrica.org