[Falkirk] next meeting

Nick Hockings - FreeNET Africa falkirk at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sun Mar 16 21:44:01 2003

On Sun, 16 Mar 2003 Jonathan Riddell <jr@jriddell.org> wrote :

> On Sun, 16 Mar 2003, kemal wrote:
>
> > Hi Nick i also have broadband so can download iso helpw ith insatll
appr as i have never used debian before how does it compare to mandrake?

> Debian doesn't give you any help at all in setting up X, and not much
help in setting up anything else for that matter.

> Mandrake tries to help, but in my experience gets it wrong more often
than not.

Debian Woody aka 3.0 (ie the current stable) does help a fair amount even
with X. (Super-probe is availale during X configuration, and your hardware
options are presented as menus. The graphics of the install program are
guaranteed to work on terminals, and so are plug ugly. Once X is installed
it is a pretty as X always is.)

It is best if you have all you hardware documentation to hand, you can
also extract quite a bit of info browsing an M$ installation. A good place
to get an XF86config that you know will work is to copy it from a live-CD
distro eg DemoLinux or Knoppix, both of which are Debian based.

One way of installing a Debian variant is to install eg Knoppix and then
add any extra apps from your favourite Debian apt-proxy. This makes
workstation functionality very easy to set up. (If only it would deal with
my Alcatel!)

I have a recent copy of Knoppix from UKUUG I'll bring along. (Nice 100%
free software :-)

--
Nick Hockings
nick@freenetafrica.org