[Falkirk] Matrix.org bridge available for chat

Greg Sutcliffe greg.sutcliffe at gmail.com
Tue Oct 24 13:01:47 UTC 2017

Hi all,

I've been playing with the opensource chat protocol Matrix.org over the
last week or so, and I'm moderately impressed, enough that I'm prepared
to see if anyone else cares :P

I've gone ahead and bridged the #falkirklug Freenode channel to a
matching channel on Matrix. This is "plumbed bridge" meaning it's
seamless - no bots repeating messages from the opposite side, it all
appears as a single unified channel.

Matrix is a standard, so there are many clients available. I'm using
the Riot.im desktop & mobile apps, and it seems solid. As with any
next-gen chat platform, it supports a whole ton of things that we
probably don't need (voice/video chat, image support, markdown styling
on chat text, emoji, etc) but that is nonetheless nice to play with. Of
course, you get persistence built in to Matrix, so if you don't have an
IRC bouncer yet, this may be an option.

You can search for Falkirk in the Matrix room directory, its public -
or directly via the Riot app:

https://riot.im/app/#/room/#falkirklug:matrix.org

Maybe that'll increase the current channel participation from ~4 :p

Cheers
Greg

--
IRC / Twitter: @gwmngilfen