[Glastonbury] The Glastonbury Linux Users Group

nick irwin nirwins_bong at lineone.net
Mon Apr 28 13:50:02 2003

On Monday 28 Apr 2003 11:43, Kelvin McNulty wrote:

> Linux - great system, I love it, but it is not very user friendly... if
> anyone out there understands the dial-up networking on Linux, do get in
> touch. How come it is so easy on Windows, and not on Linux? I'd love to
> know. Just what has Redmond got on dialup that the open source communit=
> has not?

I must say I have never had any major problems with dial-up on linux, in =
any=20
of the distributions I have used - although I have only used SuSe once,=20
briefly.

What are you using to dial up? I am personally using kppp from inside a K=
DE=20
session, it behaves just like Microslops version in Windows. The only thi=
ng=20
that bugs me about Linux dial-up is sometimes it insists you enter the DN=
S=20
numbers for your ISP. Unfortunately I am using a non-Linux friendly ISP w=
hich=20
thinks its too dangerous to release any useful information. However kppp =
no=20
longer needs you to enter the DNS numbers.

I'm afraid I am rather a newbie to this whole arena and other than sugges=
ting=20
you try different dial-up programs (especially kppp), can't really help y=
ou=20
any further.

Good Luck and remember persistance pays off -except in Microsofts case wh=
ere=20
their operating systems keep getting worse

--=20
Nick Irwin
E-Mail: nirwins_bong@lineone.net