[Glastonbury] Cable

Andrew M.A. Cater glastonbury at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Aug 1 20:17:01 2003

On Fri, Aug 01, 2003 at 04:15:05AM -0700, Maurice Onmaplate wrote:

> Well it's been installed....but....my network card MAC
> address is already registered to another user of their
> services!
>
> Damn silly!

So does it work, or not?

If it doesn't, then a) Tell them not to be so silly.  MAC addresses
haven't been guaranteed to be unique for some years so generate a hash
/ checksum or some other fingerprint to check. [Hence the point in
an earlier email to the list - "What do you want my MAC address to be?"]

b)  Pick up another network card - use _that_ MAC address.  A clean
card in bubble packaging will cost about £8-10 these days - something
link a Realtek chipset - and be supported under Linux.

c)  Ask them if the other person has a faster connection.  If so,
demand to be connected at the same speed - after all, their billing
system can't tell you apart :)

Andy