[Glastonbury] Cable

Maurice Onmaplate glastonbury at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Aug 1 22:10:00 2003

> So does it work, or not?
NO

> If it doesn't, then a) Tell them not to be so silly.
>  MAC addresses
> haven't been guaranteed to be unique for some years
> so generate a hash
> / checksum or some other fingerprint to check.
> [Hence the point in
> an earlier email to the list - "What do you want my
> MAC address to be?"]

Its a Win XP box...and how do I guarantee the new one
is not a duplicate..could get expensive!

May be better to upgrade switch hub to router hub
[apparantly] assuming IT has a unique MAC address!

> b)  Pick up another network card - use _that_ MAC
> address.  A clean
> card in bubble packaging will cost about £8-10 these
> days - something
> link a Realtek chipset - and be supported under
> Linux.

How do I guarantee it's not a duplicate [as above]

> c)  Ask them if the other person has a faster
> connection.  If so,
> demand to be connected at the same speed - after
> all, their billing
> system can't tell you apart :)

Well sadly I simply cannot connect as I cannot use the
same MAC address, although I have a differant cable
modem address.

It's basically some dumb-aXXX attempt to provide
security.

...and the cable output to TV is still flickering :(