[Glastonbury] an idea develops?

Martin WHEELER glastonbury at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sat Aug 2 00:32:00 2003

One thing I feel I must add to my previous posting: the idea of the
Linux-only cyber-cafe was one I slipped to Mike in our conversation, as
it figures quite prominently in my own visions of ways to developing the
generalised acceptance of Linux within the UK.

To my knowledge, there is *no* cyber-cafe anywhere at all in the UK
dependent *solely* on GNU/Linux systems.  (Waverley Station in
Edinburgh comes closest.)  Everyone falls at the last hurdle, with lame
excuses like: "Well, we've got to cater for those who can only use
Windows, you know".
Glastonbury, with its reputation for awkwardness, deliberate rule-
flouting, eccentricity and general desire to be perceived as
'different', could be the ideal place to start such a venture.
Certainly we have the tourist input of punters wanting to
check their e-mail, contact the folks back home in Sedona or Byron Bay,
check B&B availability, book-a-bed-ahead, etc.
And neophyte users working as waiters/support staff might be just what's
needed to put customers at ease with a totally new and unknown system.
Who knows -- people might even drop in just to learn how to use it.
(At least, that was my hope.)

But this is a business venture; not a user-group project.
Franchising an international chain of Linux Coffee Houses (with
attendant services) is way beyond the remit of LUGoG.
mwheeler@startext.co.uk                http://www.startext.co.uk/mwheeler/