[Glastonbury] an idea develops?

Martin WHEELER glastonbury at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Aug 1 21:48:00 2003

On Fri, 1 Aug 2003 starline.design@ukonline.co.uk wrote:

>  I was quite shocked by Martin's
> apparently dismissive response to Mike's proposal.

You shouldn't have been, had you known anything about the current state
of contract employment in the IT sector :-)

Right; I have only the following few points to make:

-  Five years ago you could have gone to the venture capitalists and
said "Linux internet startup", and watched them cream their jeans.
Today?  You will be politely shown the door.  That window has gone.

-  All readers of this list should go to     http://linuxit.com/
and read the site from beginning to end.
They will then realise that Mike's vision was very successfully
implemented six years ago; and should be thinking of offering their
services to that company.

-  Personally, I wouldn't touch a Linux consultant who wasn't *at least*
LPI Level 1 certified, and had a practical portfolio to match.

-  I didn't help set up and join a local Linux User Group to want to see
it so rapidly "Glastonburyized", and taken over and turned into the
latest do-gooder Job Creation Scheme cum attempt to siphon off money
from local government into the pockets of the town's chronically
unemployed -- or somebody's brother's company in London.

I like to think I had higher motives.

And really, this is all I have to say on the subject.
Nice idea; but totally clueless.
mwheeler@startext.co.uk                http://www.startext.co.uk/mwheeler/