[Glastonbury] Cable

Andrew M.A. Cater glastonbury at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sat Aug 2 11:30:00 2003

On Fri, Aug 01, 2003 at 02:09:26PM -0700, Maurice Onmaplate wrote:

> > So does it work, or not?
> NO
Is this Telewest?? If they're providing TV, that's what it
sounds like.

> > If it doesn't, then a) Tell them not to be so silly.
> >  MAC addresses
> > haven't been guaranteed to be unique for some years
> > so generate a hash
> > / checksum or some other fingerprint to check.
> > [Hence the point in
> > an earlier email to the list - "What do you want my
> > MAC address to be?"]

Ring them up and point out the MAC address problem.  Can they
"de-dupe" you?  You are paying them for cable they can't provide
- can they fix it?

> Its a Win XP box...and how do I guarantee the new one
> is not a duplicate..could get expensive!

You can't (see above) but the chances are a new card
will have a new MAC.

> May be better to upgrade switch hub to router hub
> [apparantly] assuming IT has a unique MAC address!

No, most router hubs rely on you putting in a MAC
so that they can "spoof" the MAC the cable company
knows.

> Well sadly I simply cannot connect as I cannot use the
> same MAC address, although I have a differant cable
> modem address.
>
> It's basically some dumb-aXXX attempt to provide
> security.
>
> ...and the cable output to TV is still flickering :(

Have you got more than one card available to you?  If so,
swap the cards from one machine to the other then ring
Telewest and register the "new" card from the other machine
they don't yet know about.  Simple.

HTH,

Andy