[Glastonbury] an idea develops?

Andrew M.A. Cater glastonbury at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sun Aug 3 09:38:01 2003

On Sun, Aug 03, 2003 at 06:40:31AM +0100, Sean Miller wrote:
> Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
>
> >Lovely thought - but probably unrealistic.  Glastonbury is a long way
> >from anywhere in the civilised world that lives within the M25 / M4
> >corridor.
> >
> I think this is a little unfair on Glastonbury... whilst our transport
> links may not be the best (largely due to the lack of a railway station
> in the town) none of the M4 corridor "civilised world" is more than two
> hours away, many places (eg. Swindon, Bristol) are more like an hour.

On a relatively unfamiliar road it's an hour on narrow roads from the M5
turning :(  It's probably still 1/2 hour from Wells if you don't know
the road - and Wells itself is a half hour from Bristol.  From
Cheltenham it's an hour or so to Bristol then a few minutes to the M5
turn.  I can just see myself coming the 120 miles or so from London
to Bristol then spending another hour++ finding Glastonbury.
[Festival time is different - all roads lead to Glastonbury/Pilton
and the locals can't get in/out :( ]

> What we do need, however, is some decent hotel accommodation in the
> town... a decent hotel/conference centre could unlock all sorts of
> possibilities.

There is a Forte Travelodge close-ish which _does_ have conference
facilities IIRC.