[Glastonbury] an idea develops?

Sean Miller glastonbury at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sun Aug 3 10:33:00 2003

Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:

>On a relatively unfamiliar road it's an hour on narrow roads from the M5
>turning :(  It's probably still 1/2 hour from Wells if you don't know
>the road - and Wells itself is a half hour from Bristol.  From

Erm.... now I'm going to sound like my neighbour, the public relations
guru Mr Wheeler... what a load of absolute claptrap...

The M5 junction at Puriton is less than half an hour away on a *bad* day
(it's only 15 miles straight along the A39!!) and the junction at
Highbridge (a route I travel every day) takes me, on average, 15-20
minutes to get to... 30 minutes if I encounter cows....

Wells is 6 miles away and you don't need to "know the road"... you just
get on the Glastonbury bypass (the A39) and stay on it until it brings
you to Wells.... probably 10 minutes later at *worst*... if it takes you
half an hour to "find" Wells then you have gone wrong somewhere!

Wells is actually probably slightly more than half an hour from Bristol,
well at least the centre of Bristol, but you're not far off on that one...

I travel from Glastonbury to North Bristol (Aztec West, M4/M5 junction)
to work and it normally takes me between 50 minutes and an hour....
that's 20 minutes to get to the M5 and 30 minutes on it....

>Cheltenham it's an hour or so to Bristol then a few minutes to the M5
>turn.  I can just see myself coming the 120 miles or so from London
>to Bristol then spending another hour++ finding Glastonbury.
>[Festival time is different - all roads lead to Glastonbury/Pilton
>and the locals can't get in/out :( ]

And on what authority are you making this assumption about the "locals
can't get in/out" ? I have managed to quite happily get in and out of
Glastonbury for twenty years of festivals... I did not notice anybody
suggesting setting up in Pilton!! ;-o

>There is a Forte Travelodge close-ish which _does_ have conference
>facilities IIRC.

A Forte Travelodge in Glastonbury?  I don't think so.... ah, got it!!
...you're confusing Glastonbury with Gillingham... that's probably an
hour from the M5 ;-)

Sean