[Glastonbury] an idea

Kelvin McNulty glastonbury at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Aug 6 07:29:02 2003

I wrote this before I read all the correspondence on the subject.

I still think it is a good idea. Even as I wrote that, I was aware of all=
 the=20
pitfalls that Martin metnioned, in particular the horribleness of trying =
to=20
meet some deadline having underestimated by a factor of three or so the=20
amount of time it will take to do.

Years ago when I worked for Plessey my line manager was doing some projec=
t=20
planning. He'd allocated a task to me and he asked me how long I thought =
it=20
would take. "Six weeks", I said.

He said "Can you do it in two?" and when I said "No" he said "We need you=
 to=20
do it in two..."

No wonder it overran threefold.

Yes for sure it does not take long to do something. It does take, though,=
 as=20
long as it takes to test it thoroughly through all possible cases and fix=
 all=20
the things you had not anticipated... the biggest pitfall of all is think=
ing=20
something is easy when it isn't.

Best,

Kelvin

On Sunday 03 August 2003 08:58, Kelvin McNulty wrote (quoting Mike's mess=
age):
> "The proposal is that we seed or create, or support a Linux market plac=
e.