[Glastonbury] an Idea ends I guess

glastonbury@mailman.lug.org.uk glastonbury at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Aug 7 12:35:00 2003

Still a great idea. I think its something that needs a bit more time &
discusion (hence the purpose of the group, etc) and that something could emerge
which is an 'organic' development of the idea - Based on what emerges and how
the LINUX group develops - so personally i'd give the idea more time. tend to
agree with Sean that not everyone could or would be involved 'full time' in the
project, which perhaps represents some of its immediate limitations and would
have to be considered as group membersa got to know one another more and
knowledge / skillsets were made aware - we,ve only met twice and had online
discussions. So there isn't ground to instantly dismiss LUGOG because response
has been 'slow'. The group is really important - it takes away the sense of
isolation which can exist sometimes in research.

I doubt if i'll ever comprehend or be skilled enough to see LINUX from a
programming / systems analysis point of view, to be able to apply this
commercially - my brain doesn't work like that - but people like Martin and
others do understand such things and are needed. Personally, I like the idea of
LINUX as a force in itself, but the reality ashas been pointed out in previous
email is that Wndows is a primary system used, so I am interested in the
compatibility between systems - perhaps this has to be expolored a bit -
combining the two at times in networks. Or maybe i'm too naive about all this,
and am talking out of somewhere i shouldn't... As long as i get the basic ideas
behind it... Hence the value of the group & meeting. Shame it was cancelled
yesterday - looking forward to finding out more about Apache, PHP, etc.

What about meeting at someone's home ?

You never know one day 'THE LINUX INN' could open, with cyberspace, access,
virtual skittles, and abundant discussion - dream on...

Duncan
(Excuse the grammar)