[Glastonbury] Laptop instal

peter glastonbury at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Aug 8 20:38:03 2003

Well i have been having a few problems !!

I have bought a 2nd hand IBM Thinkpad 600e With a DVD drive.

I booted up Morphix OK and ran that Ok the sound id not work or the
modem but i was expecting that.

So to install mandrake ( it's What i am used to) Great lets try the
Linux Format DVD Nope would not boot from it ( yet Morphix Did!).
I already had some CD's burnt for my other pc which won't boot form the
DVD.

So installed it Ok. then i went to add the contrib part of the DVD to
the source manager (no way) i could see the dvd and lookat all of the
files but could i open them, but before this i removed the 4 cds from
the source list because i though i would add the DVD, so when i went
back to add the 4 cd's again i just kept on getting erros when trying to
install the packages.

So i then did a new install of mandrake again but it then hung at the
end and i could not boot into it.

By this time i was starting to get a little hacked off.

Right next try Morphix installed fine but when it went to install lilo
their was an error ( i have later found out that it is a known problem
and that their is a work around.

So installed Mandrake again Went to add the contrib part of the DVD
again still no joy.

I had been finding that the machine was very slow at looking at the DVD,
so i thought it was a super mount problem, so removed the super mount
option form mandrake control center ( no that did not work) so had to
edit the mtab file . so i was now able to mount the drive manually.

So tired to add the contrib again still did not work so out of
desperation i copied the file to my home directory( i tried this before
altering the mtab and it would not do it) and did a urpmi on it  so i
finnally go the rpm installed that i wanted mysqlcc

So i now have Mandrake working at last

Here endith the story! if their had been a meeting on wednesday i might
have been running Debian by now !!

regards

--
peter <colep@nascr.net>