[Glastonbury] linux broadband modem woes

Martin WHEELER glastonbury at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Aug 12 12:58:00 2003

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003, Sean Miller wrote:

> Anyway, back to topic... I tried again to get the broadband USB modem
> working last night...

What under?  Windows or Linux?

And if Linux, (a) what kernel version are you using; and (b) why are you
trying to use a USB modem? -- they're only supplied in package deals for
*Windows* use (another example of the 'Windows-only' mentality at work
on the part of suppliers).
[Any claims to be 'Linux compatible' notwithstanding.]

As an aside -- I tried to get Demon to supply me with an ethernet modem
on their 'home use' deal; they won't.  They only supply decent
ethernet/USB modems with their (expensive) business plan deals.

USB modems *will* work under Linux -- the setup is just a little more
complicated -- and don't ask me how to make it work, I've never tried!
(I've gone for a =A340 4-port USB/ethernet modem/router from ebuyer
myself, because I'm already using an 8-port ethernet switch, and an
ethernet firewall which is so old USB probably wasn't thought of when it
was built.  There's a very interesting thread on just this topic on the
Bristol LUG at the moment.)

Andy -- what's the word on ATM over PPP?  (with ref. to a Thomson
Multimedia [Alcatel] Speedtouch 330)?

Sean -- maybe you'ld like to put 'Alcatel modem' + 'Mitnick' into
google, and frighten yourself to death with what comes back; or maybe go
to the CERT advisory at:

Have a nice day, now!
--=20
mwheeler@startext.co.uk                http://www.startext.co.uk/mwheeler/