[Glastonbury] wikis

Nick Irwin nirwin at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Dec 7 23:27:39 GMT 2003

On Sunday 07 December 2003 13:50, Martin WHEELER wrote:
> On Fri, 5 Dec 2003, Nick Irwin wrote:
> > Unfortunately, none.
>
> Sorry to hear, that Nick.
>
> > I know reading the how to use Wiki page is probably a good idea, but I
> > don't have the time.
>
> <sigh>I think I'll just go upstairs and have a quiet lie down ...

Hey, I have deadlines coming out of my ears.

> > I went to the LUGoG one
>
> Err ... which?  [distwiki] or [phpwiki]?

phpwiki

> > thought I'd add myself, so under [Martin Wheeler] i put <br>[Nick
> > Irwin], the preview showed a question mark which was a link, before my
> > name. So I assumed this was because I have no page
>
> Err ... that *was* your page.  Click on the question mark -- which
> takes you to your now-created page -- and edit your info.

Done

> > I thought I'd login to see what that allowed me to do
>
> I've been playing around with the login on phpwiki today; you may have
> hit it at a time when I was editing the login functions.

Yep logging in does work now

> (You know, not having time to RTFM is causing you serious harm.  Maybe
> you should revise your policies on this?)

As I say, working hard at Uni and trying to keep up with these new fangled
technologies puts a strain on ones time resources.

> > How do I login?
>
> See the little box containing the words 'Sign in' ?

No need to be sarcastic, I obviously did click on that button, just didn't
work at the time :-)

> [I've actually set up a page for you, just to prove to myself there are
> no problems in doing so.]

I have edited my page and just thought I'd say it works like a charm. However
whats to stop someone else coming along an putting loads of offensive
material on your wiki's? Just out of curiosity that is.
I know the whole 'everyone contributing to a piece of work' thing is a great
idea, but you are also the guy in charge of the site and responsible for its
content. So are there ways of protecting a wiki?

--
Nick Irwin
Term-time E-mail: nirwin at blueyonder.co.uk
Home E-mail: nirwin at pulbah.plus.com