[Glastonbury] meeting tomorrow (fwd)

Martin WHEELER glastonbury at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Jul 1 21:10:00 2003

mwheeler@startext.co.uk                http://www.startext.co.uk/mwheeler/

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2003 19:52:40 +0000
From: Andrew M.A. Cater <amacater@galactic.demon.co.uk>
To: Martin WHEELER <mwheeler@startext.co.uk>
Subject: Re: [Glastonbury] meeting tomorrow (fwd)

On Tue, Jul 01, 2003 at 07:17:41PM +0000, Martin WHEELER wrote:
> [...]
<Steve's original below - my comments inter line>

> "Despite a restricted budget this year I am looking at ways to continue
> to expand the use of ICT in teaching and learning at St. Dunstans
> Community School as well as open our doors to the general public to come
> in and use our equipment and facilities.
>
> One way I have saved money and expanded at the same time is through the
                 "thin client"
> introduction of a Thin Client network for generic office use and
> Internet access. Thin Client means the user workstation needs very
                        client
> little hardware inside it in order to run applications. All you need is
> a powerful server. The new network runs on Linux (pronounced
pronounced Linn-ooks (Lin as in East Lynne, ux as in
(b)ooks)
lee-nooks), a free and open source operating system. Linux began with
<nitpick mode> the open source heart of the GNU/Linux operating
system </nitpick>
> Linus Torvalds in 1991. As a student of ICT in Helsinki University Linus
> created his own Unix-compliant Operating System and released it over the
<nit-pick mode>Unix-like</nit pick>  It hasn't passed full Unix
certification, although limited parts have been POSIX certified. UNIX
(R) is a trademark held by the Open Group.</nitpick> Linux is the KERNEL
> internet as an Open Source operating system that could be freely
  Internet
free software operating system <or> open source operating system
> distributed via the internet. Open Source means that the code for the
                      Internet       source
> system is also available for people to see and adapt to their needs.
> Because of this the Linux system quickly became a programmers system
                                                    programmers'
> and an internet community grew up adding to the source code and scope of
         Internet
> what it can do. Linux is all about community and collaboration. Over
> the past 12 years Linux has evolved into a highly advanced and user
           twelve
> friendly operating system that is stable and secure as well as having a
> price tag of 0.00. There are also 1000s of free applications that will
zero software cost.                 thousands
> run on it. Because it is so stable industry are now switching to it. For
                              stable, industry is
> example Hollywood now use Linux as a platform to render Computer
                        uses     computer generated images.   Rings
> Generated Images. Star Wars Episode 1, Nemesis, Lord of the rings to
> name a few. The logo for Linux is Tux the Penguin. Much friendlier than
Isn't this much friendlier than a four-coloured Windows logo?
> a 4 coloured Window?
>
> In schools for each machine we would normally have to pay for the
> Licence for the Windows Operating System as well as the Licence for
> Microsoft Office as well as using a new machine that can handle it. This
licence  operating system  600
> comes to approximately 600 per machine. However using Linux means we
> can use a stable and free operating system with Open Office which is
> also free. Open Office is interchangeable and compatible with Microsoft
<nitpick> not entirely interchangeable with but highly
compatible with</nitpick>
> Office. So for a network of 15 machines I save the school 9000. Now
                              fifteen                      9000
> with any new system or program there will be training issues but if
> students and staff as well as the general public understand why using
> Open Source software is better than using a closed and proprietary
> system like Windows I believe they will put in the extra time to learn
> how to use it. Students are finding it easy to use and I have been able
> to provide Internet and Generic Office applications to more students as
             internet    generic office
> a result.
>
> Running a network Thin Client also means we can run the software on
> older machines. I would like to thank http://www.free-computers.org for
> donating the P100 computers to us and http://irlcomputers.com  for
> helping us get set up.
>
> The way forward for the school will be to adopt a hybrid approach so
> that students see and use more than one type of operating system. By
> using Open Source software students will be able to use software at home
        free/open source
> and can be legally supplied by the school with software that is
GNU/Linux software as well as software compatible with Microsoft (R)
Office products.
> compatible with MSOffice as well as Linux. Two main packages we are
> already using are Open Office and the film industry graphics package
<nitpick> delete 'film industry' unless you mean FilmGIMP which is still
in development</nitpick>
> The GNU Image Manipulation Program. Both of these will also run on
  the GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program)
machines running the Microsoft Windows operating system.
> windows machines and are freely available. If you would like to find out
> more please visit http://www.linuxinschools.org which I set up in Dec 2001.
>
> I have also set up a new community project using Linux and Open Source
> software. Its name is The Linux User Group of Glastonbury or LUGOG which
> can be found at http://www.lugog.org. We meet every first Wednesday of
> the month between 6 and 9pm. Our first meeting was last month and
> already interest in this new and exciting system is blooming. I am most
<nitpick> by 'system' do you mean 'group' here</nitpick>
> pleased to find support and enthusiasm locally from all ages and
> interests. Anyone else interested in finding out more about Linux and
> Open Source software is most welcome to come along.
Free/Libre/Open Source software (FLOSS)