[Glastonbury] Last Nights Meeting

Martin WHEELER glastonbury at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Jul 3 23:27:00 2003

On 3 Jul 2003, peter wrote:

> Can you answer me if i have this correct about MYSQL
>
> SQL is the Database

NO -- SQL is the database *language*.

(Linux will run Oracle; Postgresql; MySQL -- all of which use SQL as the
underlying way to express the logical relationships between data
entities.)  The database server we demonstrated last night was MySQL.

> the best way to enter data in a form format is via a
> web page. Internet or Intranet

Errr -- not necessarily.
But practically -- yes (probably).
(Depends very much what your local user interface is; and what you
program it in.  And how the punters access it.)

> To generate reports from the web page you need to use PHP ?

Again, not necessarily.
It's just one way among many others; and probably one of the most
popular at the moment.  (PHP fits in very well with web pages.  But if
your user interface is something else entirely, you probably wouldn't
want to use PHP.  I'm sure Sean, for instance, does it all in Java --
just to be different :)

> As i said we have a large Database of jobs weekly time sheets are added
> tot eh database and reports generated on total number of hours on a job
> month hours. Work in progress nd Various other reports.
>
> Any thoughts on the best way forward?

What are you happiest working with?  (Presumably time/money/learning
curve comes into this somewhere?)  Are you expecting to have to re-write
from scratch; or convert?  What about user re-training?  Etcetera.

> How did the install of Red Hat go?

[ Steve? ]

> I tried Knoppix a work but X would not start as it could not find a
> driver for the card ( i am not surprised as it is a Very High spec card)
> Diamond Fire GL2 320 Meg of ram in an IBM intellistation  I have yet to
> try it at home.

320 M?  Flash ****!  (OK, so what else do you use it for after Ult. T? :)

Andy -- does this month's Knoppix have a driver in it for that card, do
you know?
mwheeler@startext.co.uk                http://www.startext.co.uk/mwheeler/