[Glastonbury] L+A+M+P

Andrew M.A. Cater glastonbury at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Jul 8 19:26:00 2003

On Tue, Jul 08, 2003 at 11:07:56AM +0100, Tim Hall wrote:
> Ok, ok,
> My objections are overturned.
<big snip>
> It works much better since I de-ifconfig'd the tap0 interface. Can anyone
> tell me what it is / stands for? (it's a ?device / ?socket like eth0 or ppp0).
> Still, it works much better without it.
Tap == ethertap - I _think_ it's the sort of thing that you might use
to monitor a network.  Bloody useless IMHO because it wastes your time
trying to work out what's wrong with your network {B-)
 <big snip>
> although I can see the benefit in documenting data tables and which-page-
> does-what for when I come back to it in 6 months time and think "what the
> hell was I doing here?"!

Document _EVERYTHING_ you may need it in a couple of weeks, and it's
amazing just how much clue you can lose in a short time.
> One subject that may be worth covering for the group is Users / Permissions /
> Security type stuff. I haven't actually got my head round the subject
> properly yet. Fr'instance what username should my pages be calling up data
> as?  - www-data (?) or something else? clearly not 'root' (in MySQL). Surely
> the permissions for the A+M+P bit would all want to be unified? - and
> completely separate from the Linux system logins :-)
Separate from Linux logins, yes.  Martin - care to comment?
> While were at it we're setting up a coyote linux box to act as a masquerading
> firewall for the house network. So far the box is pingable, but not much else.
> I've also not managed to change my gateway setting on my Debian box - most of
> the relevant /etc/ files are managed by debconf and I can't remember which
> utility actually rewrites them :-/
vi ?? :)  You should find most of what you need under /etc/resolv.conf
/etc/hosts and /etc/network/interfaces

Tip: /usr/sbin/base-config will rerun the original questions you were
asked on initial setup.
> Coyote also has no 'pon' so I'm not sure how to independantly test the ppp
> settings. hum. I'm slowly working my way through the IP-Masquerading and
> Firewalling HOWTOs. Hopefully these answers will turn up somewhere.
pon is only a shell script.  If the worst comes to the worst
/usr/share/doc/HOWTO/{whatever}/PPP-HOWTO.gz has a command line you can
use.
> cheers
>
> tim hall
HTH,