[Glastonbury] phpmyadmin

Martin WHEELER glastonbury at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sat Jul 26 19:41:01 2003

On 26 Jul 2003, s~TV wrote:

> anyway i have come a cropper with my mysql install
> upon opening http://localhost i get
>
> "The $cfg['PmaAbsoluteUri'] directive MUST be set in your configuration
> file!

Well, that's a new one on me!
Off the top of my head, can't help you there, I'm afraid.

> Your configuration file contains settings (root with no password) that
> correspond to the default MySQL privileged account. Your MySQL server is
> running with this default, is open to intrusion, and you really should
> fix this security hole."
>
> how do i change this setting for my non root user name?

This is common with a brand-new installation.
Go to www.mysql.org and download the manual; or read it online.
(I have copies of the Apache, MySQL, PHP and phpmyadmin manuals
permanently installed on my machine -- and usually open in another
mozilla window as I work!)
You should seriously think about creating a MySQL superuser with a name
*other than* 'root' -- just as a security precaution.

> also where is the mysql configuration file?

/etc/mysql/my.cnf   ?

(What are you running?  Debian? RH? )

> how do i get back to where i was with a clean install?

Purge; then re-install.  (But see previous question.)

> if i can track down the config file i think i'll be able to hack from
> there.

Are you sure you haven't got one in your home directory that's
over-riding the system default?

Cheers, and in haste,
mwheeler@startext.co.uk                http://www.startext.co.uk/mwheeler/