[Glastonbury] Re: Glastonbury digest, Vol 1 #48 - 10 msgs

Andrew M.A. Cater glastonbury at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Jul 29 21:45:00 2003

On Tue, Jul 29, 2003 at 01:05:33PM +0100, Tim Hall wrote:
> Hi All,
> I've been away for a bit, couldn't help but jump on this one.
>
> On Friday 25 July 2003 13:22, Mike Keogh wrote:
> > if you are a placid Buddhist type,...the speech precepts are kind
> > of important ...you know, avoidance of harsh speech!!!!!!
>
> Yes and No.
> Buddhist teachers are frequently challenging to their students.
> There is of course a delicate balance to be struck :-)
> I didn't find Martin's words overly harsh in this instance. It is true that
> mere words can somtimes provoke extreme reactions and it is good for us all
> to be mindful of that fact.
>
> cheers
>
> tim hall

HH the Dalai Lama says somewhere that it is good to associate with
people that make you angry so as to teach yourself tolerance.  He
adds something along the lines of "If you _really_ can't bear to be in
the same room with them, then don't force yourself" recognising innate
human frailty with his usual humanity :)

Interesting, are you yourself a Buddhist?  The most effective and
telling image I have of Buddhism is of monks quietly burning themselves
to death with extreme dignity.  It spoke more without words than
ten thousand warriors could have done.

May all living things have peace.

Andy