[Glastonbury] re: first meeting

steve steve at fractalsoup.org
Thu Jun 5 22:03:00 2003

Hi folks,

A big Thank You to all for coming along yesterday and making our first
official meeting a success.

Many thanks also for your appreciative comments.
To get where we are now with the technology available to us and
permission to go ahead with this "community project" has taken me over 2
years of open source advocacy against all odds ;-) and yes we are now
finally there.
Back last year in December, 2003 was voted the year of LINUX. Enough said.

Yes I agree a 6-7pm open time for those who want to and can be there
(i'll be there anyway). Perhaps a small formal chat around 7pm based
upon an "agenda"? agreed beforehand as to how to spend the next 2 hours
until nine.

perchance for those that get thirsty (as i tend to) a couple of pints in
the "who would have thought it" to carry on any advocacy or other
linux/open source conversations may appeal to some.
indeed Duncan and I finished the evening in this way and ended up
discussing Tarkovsky on DVD via a Linux box and the data projector....

The next meeting will be on the 2nd July therefore between 6 and 9pm.

A few points hanging over from April are below:

 >>>Please read the HOWTO for LUGs at
 >>>http://www.linux.org/docs/ldp/howto/User-Group-HOWTO.html

this may become formative as to how we organise ourselves.
at this stage i see no need for a committee but as we grow, a core of
people who have the time and inclination may want to steer things.
i enjoy informality. however if we have a specific session on an agreed
topic then a little forward planning won't do any harm.

last night was very efficient i thought. we had two groups looking at
differning aspects of linux / open source applications as well as
individuals exploring and reading. on top of this some very constructive
sharing of ideas and making contact.
this was based purely on the needs that we all brought with us.
any way have a read and see if it sparks anything you may wish to share.

also i mentioned previously

please talk to people about the meeting and invite them along to the
next one.
Duncan has offered his design skills to put together a flyer for our
next meeting. tks.
The school will allow us to use its printing facility for this.

hmmm, i have to say i left this one with the Head at the school who
overlooked us.
i therefore will personally invite the paper (gazette) to our next meeting.
it is probably better that they come along to the second meeting as now
we know each other in this new context so i'm not annoyed about this.

Martin mentioned a Beowulf at St. Dunstan's.
We have NOT got our performing arts bid this time so there will not be
any money to support this.
I still think its a great idea well worth pursuing.
The acorn / retro-architecture project is exciting too. I would love to
see this work.

On top iof these i wish to highlight:
MUSIC on Linux:
as i discussed with Tim the Rosegarden project
(http://www.all-day-breakfast.com/rosegarden/) is one i am involved with
as a musician. (alias ThinMan http://www.besonic.com/thinman)

i am pursuing sponsorship for between £1000-£1500 to pay for the
Hardware to put on Download iso RedHat (9) Linux and Rosegarden as well
as the Turnkey / AGNULA  installation which is for music and audio
production. This machine will be made available to the local musicians
via LUGOG as a demo machine and be used in school by students for their
GCSE work. as yet no one has responded so any help with this will be
apprecited. (we would be the first school in the UK to trial it).

WEB SKILLS
Duncan's idea for PHP, MySQL and Apache can all be demonstrated using a
stand alone machine as 127.0.0.1 or localhost loopback. I too am very
keen to move my limited experience forward on this. 2 contexts for these
web skills are webdesign and ecommerce as well as a secure database for
school administration.
Anyone know how to get these three working efficiently? If not we can
have a learning together session.

INSTALLS and Programming (hacking):
yes Suse.
i have never seen SusE in all its glory due to its lack of iso availability.

i do like to work with the terminal too so tiny linux / peanut linux /
gnu linux all are up for grabs as far as i am concerned.
these will set up old hardware much more efficiently than any X11 based
distribution.
it would be great to set up a 386 running linux and c++/pyhton to
demonstrate the basics of programming languages.

any way this mailing list is our forum until the 2nd july so please use it.
absolutely anything to do with open source and linux.

"arms open wide"
s~TV