[Glastonbury] css and stuff

Rob Cornelius glastonbury at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Jun 13 20:32:01 2003

Wotcha,

I have spent a /lot/ of time with CSS over the last few years. Here are
a few things I have picked up on.

Classes are good. but they are not the be all and end all. Some people
seem to think they are but they are normally heavy duty dreamweaver
users. (Dreamweaver encourages you to do more or less everything with
classes)

There are a wealth of other selectors out there. pseudo-classes,
redefining tags, parent, child and sibiling selectors the list is
endless. No browser, not even Mozzy 1.4b supports all of them flawlessly
though.

The best way to learn CSS is to construct a simple page and play with
it. Slap together a couple of <div> elements, a link or two, and a few
paragraphs. See what putting in something like
p text-decoration: line-through
in your CSS does. etc. etc. etc.

Also finding some site that use CSS well and "deconstruct" them is a
good way to learn

You dont actually need a highly complex book, The only book for CSS I
have is O'Reilys Webmaster in a Nutshell. The CSS chapter lists every
attribute and a lot of the more reliable selectors.

There is also some excellent and accessable stuff on the W3c site at
http://www.w3c.org/Style/CSS/learning/

Absolute &&|| relative postioning is a little tricky. Again if your
going to get into it try it in /every/ broswer you can lay your hands on
(IE cant add up by the way!!)

RobC