[Glastonbury] Another company recognizes Liux is HERE!

Maurice Onmaplate glastonbury at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Jun 23 18:48:00 2003

--- s~TV <steve@fractalsoup.org> wrote:

---------------------------------
    hi,
i also have been playing with 2 that are VERY good and
are "visual"although i am not convinced this is the
best way to learn thefundamentals of programming.
c++ has to be the route????

Well, my point was that it was 'going visual' which
was a msitake IMHO.  Visual has too many negative
[M'soft] connotations.

To my mind xBase++ is much easier to learn that C/C++
or VB.  Well I've learnt the former, while the latter
continue to elude me!

C++ and Java both seem to have some VERY strange
syntax!

An hello world program [for a Text output, i.e. text
mode in Windows] would be

Function Main
   @ 0,0 SAY "HELLO WORLD"
Return Nil

Of even easier, if you don't wish to specfy where it
is displayed on screen.

Function Main
   ? "HELLO WORLD"
Return Nil

For GUI Window's it's a bit more complicated, although
if a pop-up message is what you want ill only :-

Function Main
   Alert( "Hello World" )
Return Nil

Steve