[Glastonbury] Hi

Martin WHEELER glastonbury at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Jun 24 22:03:00 2003

On 24 Jun 2003, peter wrote:

> It is nice to know that there is a Lug that is close to me. I have been
> subscribed to the Dorset Lug who i have found very helpful but living in
> Wincanton I was a little to far away to goto any of the meetings.

Welcome to the group; thanks for announcing yourself.

> I would like to go over to Debain but am a little worried about and
> install.

By far the easiest way is to get hold of a copy of knoppix (bootable
version of Debian GNU/Linux on a single CD); see if it runs on your
computer (it almost certainly will -- I haven't met anything I can't get
it to run on yet); check that you have at least 128M of RAM and 2.5 Gb
free on your hard disk, and run /usr/share/knx-install.

25 minutes later you have a full working version of Debian that will
*really* blow your mind, including loads of goodies under X
(e.g. OpenOffice.org) --  it will even sort out dual booting for you if
it detects another system on your hard disk.  It's the fastest way to
get going under Debian that I know of; and since the last meet, the
*only* method I would use now for someone new to Debian.  (OK, Sean?)

If you come along to our next meet on July 2nd we can let you have a
copy of Knoppix to take home and play with.

Or just ask around those of us who are regular users, and have a play
with one of the Debian boxes at the school.

Cheers,
mwheeler@startext.co.uk                http://www.startext.co.uk/mwheeler/