[Glastonbury] OpenOffice.org 1.1

tim hall tech at glastonburymusic.org.uk
Mon Nov 3 15:30:18 GMT 2003

On Monday 03 November 2003 13:15, Nick Irwin wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I saw the article in Linux Format last month about OpenOffice.org v1.1.
> Looks good I thought to myself and they have finally improved the loading
> times and Microsoft Word document loading.
>
> Well I must say after installation, I was to say the least, impressed, I
> have been a StarOffice user for some time (it's free for students). But I
> seriously think that this release has made OpenOffice a serious competitor
> of StarOffice, I am now 'on the fence' deciding which to use.
>
> Anyone else got any opinions on open office 1.1? If you don't yet have it,
> I'd really suggest giving it a try.

I just downloaded 1.0 and I have to admit there's things I like about it.
Enough to stop using KDE stuff - apart from konqueror, which is still my
browser of choice. I particularly like the 'Draw' package. It has some quirks
which cause it to exit suddenly for no good reason, which makes me think I'd
be better off upgrading to 1.1 as I'll guess they've probably fixed some of
this stuff. I don't know if the fact I'm running it and the KDE stuff under
fluxbox has anything to do with these program failures.

I really like the smooth interaction Open Office has with my printer - it
definitely gives -the- most wysiwyg results. I use it to print most documents
from already. It's making me think my printer is not so bad after all!

cheers

tim hall