[Glastonbury] firewall using 486 with floppy/meeting

Martin WHEELER mwheeler at startext.co.uk
Wed Nov 5 23:24:35 GMT 2003

On Wed, 5 Nov 2003, d.hopkins wrote:

> > > You're going to need a second network card as well, to connect to your
> > > modem / router, and thus on to the internet.
>
> Do have network cards on both machines, with crossover wire. Trying to
> configure (ie drivers)

Fine -- that connects one machine to the other (internal network).
Now you have to connect one of those two machines to the internet -- and
this will require yet another network card.  (I.e. your gateway machine
will have two network cards in it -- all other machines in your network
only require one.)

> Am connecting at 56k at the mo

No probs.  (As long as your modem talks to Linux boxes.)

> SO - does there need to be a OS on the hard drive (i presume so) so that
> network card / modem can be used? In that case the modem would need to be
> Linux compatible.

Sure does.

> Does a 2nd version of the OS go into the floppy / CD player and stay there?

Nope.  You only need one copy of the OS -- either permanently installed
on your hard drive; or living (impermanently?) on a floppy in the floppy
dirve, or -- much more likely -- on a CD in your CD drive.  (Both the
latter will actually dump their active routines in volatile memory, from
where your firewall will effectively be run.)

> Are these versions of Linux? If so does anyone have them?

Yes.  And Andy -- probably.
(I have two or three single-CD firewalls -- Mandrake, IPCop etc -- but
no single-floppy goodies.)

Cheers,