[Glastonbury] Nov. 5th meeting

Martin WHEELER mwheeler at startext.co.uk
Thu Nov 6 00:33:17 GMT 2003

A nice quiet meeting tonight -- only four of us present, but enough to
get stuff done -- Alan went home with a copy of Tom's Root/Boot; a 1.44M
floppy installer disk, and a CD of RH 7.1 -- enough to get him going at
home with his dedicated Linux machine which doesn't boot from its CD-ROM
drive -- only the hard or floppy drives.  (A common problem when you're
re-cycling these older machines.)  Let us know how you get on, Alan.

Bearing tonight's work in mind, we decided that the next meet would be
in a fortnight's time -- Wednesday, 19th November -- and that the whole
evening will be devoted to an installfest.
This is so that we can get everyone who hasn't yet got Linux installed
and working on their machine (workstation; laptop; firewall; whatever)
to come along and get expert (!) help in getting going -- whether it's
dual-boot, triple boot, dedicated (but ancient) machine, or just sorting
out recalcitrant video/audio cards, etc.

So folks -- those of you who haven't yet got Linux working -- write in
and let us know what you want, and we'll get it all prepared for the
19th.  You want Debian?  You got it.  You want Red Hat?  (Talk to Sean.)
You want Mandrake?  (Talk to Steve.)  You want SUSE?  (Talk to Kelvin.)
You want Debian?  (You got brains.)  You want something else?  We got a
library of CDs and DVDs.

Bring your machines with you; whether principal workstation or firewall
box or whatever -- keyboards, meeces and monitors we will provide.
Start time -- 6 pm at the latest (experience tells us that this is
necessary, to take care of little hiccups, like: "Oops! We just trashed
our only install disk!") so we can be finished by 9.

See you all there -- we may even do a kernel upgrade or two.

Cheers,