[Glastonbury] yucky communication modes

Sean Miller sean at seanmiller.net
Sat Nov 8 22:07:39 GMT 2003

> I see no obvious reason to associate myself with AOL/MSN/Yahoo/Hotmail
> type stuff - that's all for Windows users and I no longer really fit
> the mould :(

Sigh....

> write and talk also work :)  If you have an account on your colleagues
> Linux box then an rwall also works fairly well :)

Yeah. Of course... your friends who are technophobes and have signed up to
AOL and never left....

...IM is for communicating with *everybody*, not just those who are
technically competent!

> How much content / markup?  I used to originate/edit/copy type up a four
> or eight A4 page newsletter using MS Word on a machine with no mouse
> and text shortcuts and then photocopy and manually collate 320
> copies and envelope them.  That shouldn't take longer than about 10 hours
> overall.

Erm - Andy. I would appreciate it if you did *not* question my newsletter
editing or decisions to "make it so"... that is me. We are on a Linux group
here, not a "Sean is an incompetent list".... my message re. the newsletter
was regarding IM which works well because a lot of the contributors are AOL
subscribors and therefore "appear" if you start up AIM.  And often that
implicit communication (ie. they don't actually know that they're
"subscribed" as they are simply AOL users) can be *VERY* *VERY* useful.