[Glastonbury] yucky communication modes

Alistair Parsons neoaliphant at icqmail.com
Sun Nov 9 23:14:56 GMT 2003

> ...IM is for communicating with *everybody*, not just those who are
> technically competent!
CUT

> are AOL
> subscribors and therefore "appear" if you start up AIM.  And often that
> implicit communication (ie. they don't actually know that they're
> "subscribed" as they are simply AOL users) can be *VERY* *VERY* useful.

<rant>
I agree

IMHO For linux to become more popular it has to embrace cross platform
formats/protocols (Java, SVG, Openoffice (ie that Koffice will be switching
to Openoffice format in next release))

IM is basically, anyone can talk to anyone , whatever platform, for free.
As i suffer from a speech impediment which manifests on the phone, IMing
reduces stress and promotes communication

There have been huge improvements in the ease of use of IM within linux during
the last year particularly with Kopete and SIM

AIM is very handy in that it can nab all the AOL users who are online, which
face it is a lot, the number of times people havent contacted me because im
online and havent been checking email and have forgotten to log in with an IM
AOl is userfriendly and the complexity is hidden

I heard a rumour that there was going to be an embedded linux AOL only
internet box

IM  can be very usefull for communication even if it doesnt...ahem..encourage
good puntuation. Much better than the EVIL mobile texting that goes on ...
IM is very cross platform, doesnt cost anything, so through away all mobile
phones they are the cause of all unhappiness ....

</rant>

Al