[Glastonbury] Boot on the other Drive [was: Downgrading with apt-get]

tim hall tech at glastonburymusic.org.uk
Tue Nov 11 04:45:52 GMT 2003

Hi all,

Just to follow up.

I managed to set up the other drive on hdb very nicely thanks to Andy's help.
I've installed DeMuDi-1.0-Agnula on hda on top of woody, which all works
nicely.

On Thursday 30 October 2003 22:30, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
> Difficult: as an alternative, you _might_ be able to install
> testing/unstable in either a chroot or a User Mode Linux environment.
> Not necessarily straightforward to set up: if you've two disks, then
> it's probably far easier to use both like this.  Obviously, if you're
> running off /dev/hdb, there's nothing to stop you manually mounting

I'm now installing testing + demudi development sources onto hdb and I've set
up chroot terminals on tty8 and tty9 (X) So I can now flip between the two
distros without rebooting. It makes X a little slow in places, but both
flavours so far seem to have equal access to resources, they are both mounted
on /mnt in each others directory trees. Ooh I think I've gone all recursive!
It turned out to be one of the simpler things I'd ever tried to configure.

I highly reccomend Agnula for multimedia sources.

cheers

tim hall