[Glastonbury] PLEASE HELP

Martin WHEELER mwheeler at startext.co.uk
Thu Oct 2 23:12:08 BST 2003

On Thu, 2 Oct 2003, tom hayward wrote:

> OK Ill do it... Ill use knoppix instead of windows!!!!!!

That sounds great -- but don't do anything rash (just yet!) -- your best
bet is to set it up as a dual-boot system (i.e. you have *both* Linux
and Windows on the same box, and can boot into one or the other on
switch-on).
The advantage of this is that you have Windows available for all your
school work; but Linux for anything *really* serious :)
And of course, you can read all your Windows files from within Linux; so
transferring your Mum's files over is no problem at all.

> I have some questions first.
> 1) When ever i boot up knoppix and then log off, i lose what i have done.

OK -- I understand now.  You're obviously booting from the CD every
time, which means that effectively, you're working in volatile memory
only.  What you're going to have to do is install Linux on the hard
disk (there's a single command within Knoppix which lets you do this --
your machine should be properly configured before you attempt it
though).

> How can it be saved just like "Windows"?

Once you've installed Linux properly, no problem.

> 2)I dont use WYSIWYG editors, i use Ace HTML.etc. Thats what i built my mums
> website on.

Equivalent under Linux would be 'Quanta'.

> I DO NOT
> want to lose that! How can i transfer it over to knoppix?
>                    ---or---
> Can i keep it on windows and just come back to it every now and again to
> edit it?

Both are possible.  No problem at all.

> 3)I am on the internet with Freeserve.. What do i do on knoppix?

We'll help you set up your Freeserve account under Linux as well.
(You're probably going to have a problem with your modem if it's an
inbuilt one -- it's likely to be one of those that will *only* work
under Windows.  Sean and I have the same problem on our laptops.  There
are ways to cope with this.)

> 4)If i install knoppix on my laptop, does that mean i can 'never' go back to
> windows again?

Good heavens, no!  What ever gave you a daft idea like that?
Install *both* -- on the same machine.  Swap from one to the other.

Look, Tom -- you obviously need to meet with myself and Sean and anyone
else who wants to give a hand, and we'll help you set this up.
We do the talking - but *you* do the hands-on driving.
(That's what this User Group is all about.)

Can you arrange with Mr. Leonard-Clarke to get the use of T1 after
school one day; then let us know -- and we'll take it from there.

Meanwhile, we need to know --

   * what make of computer do you have?
   * what model?
   * what make and model of CPU?
   * what speed does the CPU run at?
   * how much memory is fitted?
   * how big is the hard drive?
   * what operating system(s) have you got on there at the moment?
   * what's your graphics card?
   * how much memory available for graphics?
   * what sort of modem?
   * what sort of removable media can it take?  (CD?  DVD?  floppy?)
   * what sort of sockets has it got on the back?  (USB? Serial?)
   * what make / type of mouse does it use?
   * has it got PCMCIA card slots?

That should be enough to keep you going for a while!  :)

Regards,