[Glastonbury] Newbie to Glastonbury LUG

Sean Miller sean at seanmiller.net
Mon Oct 6 21:37:53 BST 2003

> I mean, like anyone should just be able to get onto a cross-channel
> ferry and drive it from Dover to Calais -- I mean, piece o' piss, innit?
> Same with Boeings -- what's with the exclusivity of these bloody pilots
> -- anyone should just be able to walk on and fly the bloody thing,
> right?

Interesting perspective, Martin.

So only trained "pilots" should use Linux?? It now becomes clear why "Le
Wheeler"'s Debian chums have failed so effectively to sell the concept to
a mass market... that believes (quite rightly, imho) that "piece o' piss,
innit" is what we should be delivering.

> I mean, computers are just toys, aren't they?  They aren't used for
> anything serious, are they?  Like, nobody's life depends on knowing how
> to use them properly, or anything, does it?  I mean, like, it's just
> press the button and go, innit?  And if it doesn't go, well just blow it
> all away and re-install.  OK, that could *maybe* be a wee bit of a
> problem at 60 000 feet when the fly-by-wire gets its wires crossed...

I never advocated that life support systems in hospitals should be
installed by 12 year olds with an installation CD and no experience
(though, from what I've seen, they would probably figure it out -- aren't
kids scary these days???!!)

But if your aspirations are to run a word processor and an internet
browser, surely it should not be necessary to take a masters degree?!?!

> [Readers of this list should be aware that the author of the above has
> just told me 'viva voce' that he "doesn't do flame wars".

No flame wars here... just common sense.

> Ha!

"Ha!!" to you too... [don't worry folks... I'm driving Martin to London on
Wednesday... could easily lose him somewhere in the New Forest, for the
right money]

> See if I ever offer to fix his festering laptop for him again!
> Deliberately blow my nose all over it, more like!]

Farleys rusk, anybody? ;-)