[Glastonbury] Newbie to Glastonbury LUG

tim hall tech at glastonburymusic.org.uk
Tue Oct 7 04:46:24 BST 2003

On Monday 06 October 2003 07:00, Sean Miller wrote:
> can't you all see that in reality Debian
> is a distro that is never going to make Linux what it should be, because it
> makes no attempt to appeal to the mass market,
[...]
> demands significant time and effort in training before you can
> do something as simple as install it on a laptop....
[...]
> Diversity is what Linux is all about... let's keep our eye on that fact and
> we won't go far wrong.

> Debian sucks! That's all there is to it... but many of you like it, and
> that is your perogative.

OK, In all seriousness, it's WAY to easy to get into a flamewar about this
kind of thing. Linux users need to support each other. End of story.

Debian does not suck. Any ideas of what Linux 'should be' are merely your own
predilictions. Yes, we need distros like RedHat/Fedora, Mandrake, Suse et al.
because ordinary desktop users want something they can fire up quickly and
use to get on with work. They all have their different pros and cons, but we
don't have to measure ourselves by Microsoft's yardstick. Linux should and
can provide both the 'quick'n'clean' solutions and the ultimately
customisable and geeky, not necessarily in that order, and all manner of
different flavours and permutations.

However, I spent years sitting in front of a Windows box dreaming of an
operating system that works the way /I/ want it to. I found that in Debian. I
have tried & looked at other distros and they don't suit me, personally. As a
newbie user, admittedly with plenty of time, I found Debian to be perfectly
fine to get along with and I now have the OS I'd been dreaming of and it's
about as far away as you can get from the world of Windows.

The reason you're getting so much flak for this Sean, is that you didn't give
Debian a fair crack of the whip - ok, so it's not the distro for you - but
then proceeded to go on about how much it sucketh. For someone who claims to
have as much experience in the UNIX world as you do, you deserve all the
ribbing you get.

> Farleys rusk, anybody? ;-)

Good, that's much more like it :-)

tim hall