[Glastonbury] Meeting

Andrew M.A. Cater amacater at galactic.demon.co.uk
Wed Oct 8 07:05:09 BST 2003

On Tue, Oct 07, 2003 at 07:24:19PM +0100, peter wrote:
> Sorry i Missed the meeting on the 1st i thought it was the 8th!!
>
> Is their going to be another meeting on the 15th?
Not insofar as I know - unless you want to try a pub.

> I have got knoppix and am think about replacing mandrake 9,1 on the
> laptop with it!!  ( fireworks anyone) !!

You may want to consider three or four things:

1) At least initially, you run as root on Knoppix. Remember to sort out
stuff like accounts - the install instructions were fairly good last
time I looked.

2) Knoppix will need a good quality CD drive and copy for the initial
install: I had problems with some of the images in July where "bits were
missing" as the disk spun up [Downloaded twice and checked twice - one of
those things :( ] but the September 24th image works for me.

3) The best feasible upgrade after installation is probably to Debian
testing or even Debian unstable.  I have no particular problems with
these - but others may <grins, ducks, runs>.

All in all, Knoppix probably is the best thing since sliced bread /
pizza / Penguin caffeinated mints to hit the standard PC architecture
- especially when used for a system rescue / hardware checkout disk /
mending Windows NT network problems :)

Andy