[Glastonbury] Meeting on the 15th

Andrew M.A. Cater amacater at galactic.demon.co.uk
Wed Oct 8 23:23:16 BST 2003

On Wed, Oct 08, 2003 at 06:02:51PM +0100, steve at fractalsoup.org wrote:
> hi folks,
> just a quick one to say that yes i can open up on the 15th October if
> that's what people want.
> i have been ill so out of the loop for a while.
Sorry to hear that - hope you're better now.  Been up to the Linux
Expo today with Martin and Sean.  Small, crowded, noisy - a few big
players but others noticeable by their absence.  RedHat and SUSE both
there, as were HP, IBM, Sun.

> i am glad things still went ahead on the 1st and thanks to anthony for
> stepping in "on behalf of the school" at the last minute.
> shall we say 6 - 9pm? or 7 - 9pm?
> mandrake 9.2 is out next month on linux format DVD if people want to
> wait until then.
> i have 9.1 anyway. i also have knoppix 9.2 and the skolelinux iso.
Knoppix 3.3 came out on 24 September 2003. This works for me where
the late July one didn't.  Is your skolelinux the ??40 - didn't work
for me - wouldn't get the customised apt.

> kernel 2.6 is due out. test can be found here
> http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/patch-2.6.0-test6.bz2
> can we look at a session on "how to recompile the kernel"?

Good advice would be not to mess with 2.6 until it stabilises some more.
It's still very much a test version - though Linus is suggesting fewer
patches and those only to fix real bugs.

> also i need some help getting the smartboard in T1 to work with linux.
> i have the drivers for it but it is a usb (groan) connection.
> maybe this is the problem.
> this is the only reason i (sometimes) use windows to teach on.

What sort of drivers / whiteboard??

> regards to one and all,
> steve l_c
>
> peter wrote:
>
> >Sorry i Missed the meeting on the 1st i thought it was the 8th!!
> >
> >Is their going to be another meeting on the 15th?
> >
> >I have got knoppix and am think about replacing mandrake 9,1 on the
> >laptop with it!!  ( fireworks anyone) !!
> >
> >regards

All the best to all the list,

Andy