[Glastonbury] Sep. 3rd meet -- venue

Martin WHEELER glastonbury at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Sep 3 15:43:01 2003

On Wed, 3 Sep 2003, Sean Miller wrote:

> > > As we are a community group in Glastonbury, I would have thought that we
> > > should be able to have use of the ICT Centre on Benedict Street.

O fond and foolish youth!
You don't *really* think it's run for the benefit of the _community_ do
you?
With all those Council-employee egos it has to cater for?

> > > I am happy to ask a few people on your behalf.
> >
> > Mike __
> >
> > Did you ever get anywhere on this?
>
> Call me a cynic, but I cannot see this happening...

Too fscking right you won't see it happening!
(Not this side of the revolution, anyway.)
Tact, diplomacy and "asking a few people" notwithstanding.

I've just been along there, and had the usual !!**?? comments thrown at
me:
  "We're not open in the evening; we've no-one to shut the place up"
  "Oh, we're fully booked up in the evenings"    [sic]
  "All the small teaching rooms have been taken over as offices"
     (presumably by staff who feel they're far too important *not*
      to have an office of their own?)
  "Oh, we're Microsoft only"  [with refusal to give me that in writing]
  "Oh, we don't do Linux here -- St. Dunstan's does that."

Well, I've got news for them -- not in my bloody book it doesn't.
St. Dunstan's -- isn't that the place that's perennially closed, or not
available or under the Stalinist rule of the caretaker or something?
I seem to remember having been there once -- nice place -- shame about
the hours.
(Shit-hot on marketing themselves, but.)

OK, St. Dunstan's -- you're now THE officially County Council
recommended place to get your Linux training in Glastonbury -- I shall
be along tomorrow to enrol for an LPI Level 3 certification course

> Would anybody be up for a drink/chat in the Whod'A'ThoughtIt tonight,

You bet your ass I would!

I am *fuming*.  I shall restrict myself to drinking, not chatting; as
anything I might say would probably be totally truthful and therefore
libellous or something.

> Failing that, maybe tomorrow night somewhere? Just to keep the "social
> element" alive two months after the last LUGOG meeting....

I totally agree -- although a the moment I'm feeling about as "social"
as a bear with a sore head and no willow bark to chew on.
mwheeler@startext.co.uk                http://www.startext.co.uk/mwheeler/