[Glastonbury] next step for st dunstan's

Andrew M.A. Cater glastonbury at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Sep 17 20:02:00 2003

On Wed, Sep 17, 2003 at 06:53:14PM +0100, steve@fractalsoup.org wrote:
> well it looks like we will be getting another suite of pc's this year:
Good news :)

> 15 dual boot new machines with multimedia facility ~ here comes
> rosegarden / ardour / turnkey / linux audio..video.. ~ :-)
Why are you bothering to dual boot that many machines?  Use one machine
running Win2k as a server with the apps on and then VNC / KDE/Gnome
Remote Desktop clients from your thin clients.

Check video card/sound card compatibility.  Newest Intel chipsets and,
for example, SATA drives may not be universally supported yet.

> 2 mandrake servers ( what do people have against Mandrake? )

Hard to upgrade. Too few useful packages. May go out of business/run out
of money in the medium term ... {B-)

> 15 thin client (possibly dual boot machines with an upgrade)

Make everything a solid Linux box first, then consider the amount and
number of Windows licences you'll need for your "must have" Windows
apps.  Look at the German Interior ministry guidelines for how to
move from Windows -> Linux throughout :)

> everthing's gonna be alright...
>
> ofsted cometh,
> wait till i get to talk to the ict inspector ;-)
>
> regards,
> s~TV

Have fun,

Andy