[Glastonbury] next step for st dunstan's

glastonbury@mailman.lug.org.uk glastonbury at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Sep 17 21:50:01 2003

Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:

>On Wed, Sep 17, 2003 at 06:53:14PM +0100, steve@fractalsoup.org wrote:
>

>>well it looks like we will be getting another suite of pc's this year:
>>

>Good news :)
>

>>15 dual boot new machines with multimedia facility ~ here comes
>>rosegarden / ardour / turnkey / linux audio..video.. ~ :-)
>>

>Why are you bothering to dual boot that many machines?  Use one machine
>running Win2k as a server with the apps on and then VNC / KDE/Gnome
>Remote Desktop clients from your thin clients.

sorry but flowol is a requirement of the dfes control tech module -doh
only runs on windows -
methinks it will run on crossover but  the license for win98 is the same
price as crossover and other teachers have their own MS/DFES dependancies
(believe me they are everything you think i am)

>Check video card/sound card compatibility.  Newest Intel chipsets and,
>for example, SATA drives may not be universally supported yet.

is all looked after
irlcomputers.com ~ leaders of linux in education in the u.k.

>>2 mandrake servers ( what do people have against Mandrake? )
>>

>Hard to upgrade. Too few useful packages. May go out of business/run out
>of money in the medium term ... {B-)

yeah right,
i guess we just give up now...
i have been using it
better than redhat, debian,
runs dvd, audio, video, usb, adsl modems, firewire better/quicker(ie:
easier to ./configure && make && install) than any other distro i have
tried yet inc SuSE
have you used this distro recently?
my homepage is http://plf.zarb.org/

>>15 thin client (possibly dual boot machines with an upgrade)
>>

>Make everything a solid Linux box first, then consider the amount and
>number of Windows licences you'll need for your "must have" Windows
>apps.

there are plenty of these unfortunately
have you guys looked at the key stage 3 strategy?
it is almost 100% windows XP / office XP dependant.
please wake up to the fact that the system has a deal with MS and that
it is a *miracle* that we can go it alone for now.
the upgrade phase we are in is phase 2 of 3
the 3rd phase will see a whole suite of high spec pcs just running FLOSS
all i need is a budget to supply the hardware and ther ain't much chance
of that till next year ~
we have a £100,000 defecit this year.

>Look at the German Interior ministry guidelines for how to
>move from Windows -> Linux throughout :)

where are they then?
btw
can you help us then?
it's good to talk
01458 832943 Steve Leonard-Clarke

>>everthing's gonna be alright...
>>
>>ofsted cometh,
>>wait till i get to talk to the ict inspector ;-)
>>
>>regards,
>>s~TV
>>

>Have fun,

the road goes ever on