[Glastonbury] Downgrading with apt-get

Martin WHEELER mwheeler at startext.co.uk
Wed Sep 24 15:22:48 BST 2003

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003, tim hall wrote:

> I'm running Debian Stable on a Linux-2.4.18-586-demudi kernel.

OK.  (Thanks for providing the necessary info)

> I recently added the demudi/devel sources to
> this list.

'Scuse me for asking, but does demudi/devel require stable, testing or
unstable?

>  I'm missing a module that clearly /is/ missing from the
> module sources.

Which one?  Can any of us help you?  (Probably not; but I've downloaded
modules from other users before now to get something esoteric going.)

> The question really, is how do I get back to where I was before I started?

If you *really* want to do this --
first, you must purge all the stuff you've just added from demudi/devel.

     dpkg --purge <packagenames>

Then comment out the relevant line(s) in your /etc/apt/sources.list and
re-install whatever it was you had before.

> If
> I comment out the relevant line in /etc/apt/sources.list will dselect
> (apt-get) allow me to replace the programs with the earlier versions? (from
> demudi/stable so to speak).

Should do.  (As long as devel versions have been blown away)

> The development version of the 2.4.18 kernel that I'm using does seem to be
> an improvment and I'm living in hope that I might be able to get either MusE
> or Rosegarden-4 to run properly on my system

Haven't ever run either (I don't do music -- sorry); the person we
really need here is Coops -- but he's half-way up the Andes at the
moment, and probably ignoring all LUGoG mails.

Let us know how you get on.