[Glastonbury] PHP + MySQL

Martin WHEELER mwheeler at startext.co.uk
Wed Sep 24 16:38:31 BST 2003

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003, tim hall wrote:

> Martin, you mentioned a ?couple of GUI clients for MySQL, could you refresh
> my memory?

I probably mentioned:

     - phpmyadmin
     - mysqlcc
     - webmin

-- all of which require a browser interface, however.
(My own preference is for phpmyadmin; followed by webmin.  I find the
mysqlcc [MySQL Control Center] just too clunky at the moment.)

[ Just a sudden thought -- have you tried any of the above with a
character-based browser?  (Lynx; links; or w3m?) ]

There is also mysql-navigator, for which there is a .deb
[ "apt-get install mysql-navigator" -- never used it, though. ]

> - The web interface is painfully slow for managing databases -
> each page taking up to 10 seconds sometimes to load.

Is this using a local database and a local webserver?
(You need to buy your penguin some roller-skates.)

> So I need something that
> runs as a binary.

> It's good to have become familiar with PHPMyAdmin, as it
> will surely be the interface I will have to use on the web. However doing the
> work locally and then uploading a single .csv style text file is going to be
> a /lot/ less aggravating.

It's the only way I work.  (And I always do it via phpmyadmin.)

> The next thing I want
> to know is how to use PHP to enter data into the tables, and preferably
> securely too !

OK; I'll have to find a few simple scripts to stick up somewhere on the
startext or avalonix websites.  It's relatively easy.

HTH