[Glastonbury] LU&D Expo, Linux Audio and a plug or two

tim hall tech at glastonburymusic.org.uk
Thu Apr 15 07:43:07 BST 2004

Richard,

On Wednesday 14 April 2004 4:11 pm, Richard Bown wrote:
> * firstly (mainly to Tim), I probably am going up to the Linux User
>   expo next week by car on the Tuesday morning and back on the Weds
>   lunchtime/afternoon.  Feel free if you fancy a lift. It's probably
>   going to be a bit hectic though because..

That would be most excellent. Thanks.

> * secondly, Rosegarden has been shortlisted for "best open source project"
>   award at the Expo and the organisers have even stumped up for tix for
>   me and my co-developer to attend the Tuesday night ceremony.  (So
>   I'll be hungover on Weds - win or no-win).

Well deserved.

[snipped]

> * fourthly -  I still right in thinking that I'm doing a Linux Audio
>   demo next meeting?  If so what do people want to see if anything
>   in particular?  Composition, recording, ripping, editing, mixing
>   - all of the above?   I'm sure Tim and others have quite a few views
>   on this one and we should probably come up with a loose schedule.

Ripping is easy. The rest would be useful. I've not figured how to import
audio into Rosegarden or get it to work satisfactorily with jackd, most of
that is probably set-up issues. I've been using ecasound (which is brilliant)
MusE (which does -some- things easier than rg, but falls over other stuff)
and hydrogen (the best drum machine ever). Don't really know where to start
with it all. If you were to introduce us to Rg, that would be most useful.

Also a little bit about ALSA / Jackd set up might be useful for some folks who
haven't looked at configuring their systems for making music & would like to.
It's a very big wide ranging subject, so probably best to limit it to a few
achievables.

> * erm, fifthly - How do you find out what's happening at the next
>   meeting on the LUGOG website?  I'm sure it's there somewhere..

http://www.lugog.org.uk/mambo/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&Itemid=27&func=view&id=4&catid=8
but it should be on the front page really. Seeing as how I'm supposedly
co-administrator I suppose I ought to pull my finger out and actually look at
it.

cheers

tim hall