[Glastonbury] Linux's latest...

tim hall tech at glastonburymusic.org.uk
Tue Apr 27 12:17:32 BST 2004

Damon,

On Tuesday 27 April 2004 11:23 am, Damon Chaplin wrote:
> I was only moaning about it as I really want it to be the best distro.
> It wasn't a 'my distro is better than yours' rant.

Sorry, perhaps I was being a bit over-sensitive.

> One reason I wanted to install it was that I was thinking of helping out
> with the GUI installer. (Though I've subscribed to the debian-boot
> mailing list and there's just too much traffic to keep up with, partly
> due to all the different architectures they need to support.)

I have to say I found all the official debian mailing lists too high in
traffic to be involved with. I've been getting involved with the Agnula
project, which involves a DeMuDi distro (the one Sean was complaining about).
There's much less traffic & less people involved generally. I've found them
to be incredibly receptive to new ideas. The truth is that ALL Linux Audio
stuff is still pretty much in development and therefore works magnificently
in some situations and not at all in others, yet.

Agnula has been trying to develop their own GUI installer, but suffered a
terminal HD failure at the end of last year and the work has never got back
on target. I mention that as an example of a smaller project that might
really appreciate your skills.

I would ask that if we are going to discuss the relative merits of different
distros / desktops-window managers / database systems / programming languages
and other flame-bait, that we put a little extra effort into keeping the
debate positive. That's IMO ok?-) The fact is, My Distro IS quirkier that
yours. Get over it ;-) *runs and hides*.

Cordially

tim hall