[Glastonbury] Newbies?

Greg Browne greg.browne at gmail.com
Thu Dec 2 11:55:20 GMT 2004

Thanks for a very useful meeting last night – my first. There is
clearly a lot of expertise in the group.

As a first timer, may I raise an issue? I felt the forum suffered from
a problem that some on-line forums suffer from, which is the problem
with newbies. Whilst those well versed with Linux were exploring the
deeper concepts, some of us were there just to get started. We had
simple problems like, how to mount a drive, install software and find
it when installed, gain access to a Win98 partition, whether to start
with SuSE, Mandrake or Debian; problems that we had failed to solve
thru forums and books. Is there a simple answer to newbies? Experts
don't want to be answering the simple "How can I", for the 99th time,
and newbies are struggling to get past one particular unscalable brick
wall or the other, without someone else showing them the hidden door
(ouch!).

Thanks for the explanation of PHP Mambo etc. Now I understand what
content management system actually are and what they can do. (For
anyone as ignorant as me, they appear to be programmes that allow
others to place information on your web site, whilst leaving you in
control. Is that right? Very useful for those writing community
websites.)

Also, I had not appreciated, until your demo, how important good web
design is to the visually impaired or blind. Your point was well made
and I for one, have taken it on board.

I look forward to Jan 12th, if that firms up as the next meeting date.

--
Greg Browne
www.rotherleigh.co.uk