[Glastonbury] Newbies?

tim hall tech at glastonburymusic.org.uk
Thu Dec 2 12:33:45 GMT 2004

Last Thursday 02 December 2004 11:55, Greg Browne was like:
> As a first timer, may I raise an issue? I felt the forum suffered from
> a problem that some on-line forums suffer from, which is the problem
> with newbies. Whilst those well versed with Linux were exploring the
> deeper concepts, some of us were there just to get started. We had
> simple problems like, how to mount a drive, install software and find
> it when installed, gain access to a Win98 partition, whether to start
> with SuSE, Mandrake or Debian; problems that we had failed to solve
> thru forums and books. Is there a simple answer to newbies? Experts
> don't want to be answering the simple "How can I", for the 99th time,
> and newbies are struggling to get past one particular unscalable brick
> wall or the other, without someone else showing them the hidden door
> (ouch!).

Sorry I didn't make the meeting last night.

I don't really see the problem. Ask away!
Really obvious questions, if clearly asked, just give the more experienced
users a chance to show off how much they know, or whatever. It will also
build up a whole load of useful answers in the mailing list archives, so we
can always point people to previous answers. If any subject gets boring we
could put an FAQ up on the site.

cheers

tim hall
http://glastonburymusic.org.uk