[Glastonbury] LTSP

steve steve at fractalsoup.org
Fri Dec 3 17:42:10 GMT 2004

Rick Fitzsimmons wrote:

> A good meeting on Weds. I still need to match names to faces (not one
> of my strong points), but I'm starting to recognise a few of you!
>
> I mentioned that I was trying out the LTSP project to get a thin
> client network running. After some head-scratching and tweaking, it's
> now working, including sound (mostly). So I can now PXE boot a
> workstation onto my Mandrake 10.1 box. Hurrah!
> Has anyone else experimented with this stuff, or maybe interested in
> trying?
>
> Steve - does your school thin-client network handle sound?

no, in thin-client mode we do not have sound configured or floppy drive
cdrom access for that matter.
as far as i have read or have experience of you are *very* lucky to get
sound working on thin-clients.
in mid - client (that is in a higher spec machine) mode the server
kernel can be configured to support audio and internal hardware access
via the system ram in the workstation. (wow!)
we have not set this up other than fro floppy, cdrom, printers and scanners.
this is why we chose to dual boot machines.
however audio on linux is best served via a full local install so why
not dual boot?.
my laptop triple boots, linux network via mid client, linux local or winXP.

> I'd be interested to know how well sound works with lots of clients,
> and whether all apps work correctly.
>
> Cheers,
> Rick.

i'll look into this again though as i am sure things have moved on
considerably with the 2.6 kernel.

the website i was trying to remember btw was www.karoshi.org.uk

cheers
steve