[Glastonbury] Dear Mabel

Peter Fry pjfry at compuserve.com
Sun Dec 5 11:18:10 GMT 2004

All

Thanks for an interesting evening and the chance to pick some brains.

I tried the Knoppix CD about a year ago and was a bit disappointed with the
performance and never tried again till yesterday when I remembered that I'd
upgraded my PC from 700MHz to 2.8GHz in the summer. Being a bit fired up
after the meeting I loaded Knoppix and the performance was really good.
Before I new it I was checking my email, browsing the web and playing MP3
stuff.

Now that I've seen Sean risk his laptop with a version of Linux co-existing
with XP (and still be cheerful two days later) I'm keen to do the same. I
like the Knoppix desktop so what flavour of Linux can anyone recommend that
would give me the same features.

Also, in the meantime, can anyone suggest how I can save certain settings
needed for e.g. email, proxy etc. while I'm in Knoppix so that I can load
them back in next time I run it?

Also, how can I connect to / mount a directory on my Red Hat server from
Knoppix? suppose I want to save files in /var/www/html on the Red Hat
server which is at 192.168.0.19 (RHTEST1.MYDOMAIN.LOCAL)  I don't know if
Knoppix allocates an IP address for the local machine.

Any help gratefully received.

Peter F