[Glastonbury] more wiki

tim hall tech at glastonburymusic.org.uk
Sat Dec 11 11:26:33 GMT 2004

Last Friday 10 December 2004 19:25, Martin Wheeler was like:
> On Fri, 10 Dec 2004, tim hall wrote:
> > What about:
> > http://instiki.org

> Thanks very much for the heads-up on instiki.

Welcome, thanks equally for this guide on getting it working. I shall probably
give it a go, although frankly this will probably have to wait till the Yule
holidays.

> If you're interested in what I had to do to get it working under Debian
> testing, this is what I did:
>
> 1) change the first line of the install script (instiki.rb) to relect
> where ruby lives under debian:
>
> -  #!/usr/bin/ruby
>
> 2) make the install script executable ('chmod 755 instiki.rb')
>
> 3) I actually installed it in /usr/share/<appname>, NOT under the html
> docroot, for security reasons -- without any apparent problems
>
> 4) because it requires most of ruby's standard libraries, and I don't
> think I've got anything else running under ruby (have I?) I had to
> install the extra libraries it assumes are available:
>
> - apt-get install rdoc
>                    libwebrick-ruby1.8
>                    libzlib-rub1.8
>                    libstrscan-ruby1.8
>
> should be enough to pull in all the other dependencies needed.
>
> And away you go. It installs without problem.
>
> (Anyone feel like packaging it for Debian?  Andy -- would you 'offically'
> check that the licence is indeed suitable?)

Packaging, now there's a whole other story. ;-)
I have a lot of Debian Policy documents I need to read before getting into
anything like that, personally. I have to admit that it's tempting as Debian
packages in and of themselves aren't wildly complicated. However, the process
of getting certain applications to work within a Debian framework could prove
more complex and time-consuming. If it takes anything more
than ./configure ... make ... install then I'm stumped!;-] I think I possibly
need to learn about makefiles and autotools next - and find some relatively
simple examples to start on. Advice welcome. Perhaps we could do a meeting on
compiling things from source?

cheers

tim hall
http://glastonburymusic.org.uk